How to Use Sea Pearls™
An important part of empowering ourselves as women includes regaining confidence in our bodies. It’s time we re-learn how to listen and trust the natural signals our bodies give us. Using sea sponges allows women the freedom and gives them the opportunity to regain the natural rhythm of their bodies.
Firstly, wash your hands thoroughly. Wet your sponge. Then thoroughly squeeze out excess water. Insert the sponge into your vagina using your fingers. You should feel comfortable. If you feel any pressure, remove your sponge and trim very carefully to a smaller size (Sponges are pre-shaped and very delicate, so don’t cut them in half).
*Sea sponges, like tampons, are not sterile. Therefore, great personal care should be exercised in their use.
Sponges are soft and textured like your vaginal wall and very easy to remove. Simply feel for the perimeter of the sponge, grasp it and pull gently. For easy retrieval, you may sew a piece of dental floss to the sponge. However, the sponge is incredibly delicate, so take extreme care when adding any form of string.
Rinsing and Storage
Never use harsh soap on your sponge. It leaves a film that upsets the natural PH balance of your vagina.
You may boil your sponge for about 2 minutes if you wish, however, we do not recommend it because it shrinks and toughens your sponge, and also shortens its useful lifetime. We have no scientific evidence, but it is a fact that micro waving changes the molecular structure of matter, so we would not recommend it. Between cycles, there are several ways to disinfect Sea Pearls™. You may soak them in any of these mixtures.
1. A solution of 1 or 2 drops of tea tree oil and 1 cup warm water (tea tree oil has been shown to inhibit 60 strains of bacteria, including s. aureus)
2. A solution of 1 tbsp. cider vinegar in 1 cup of water
3. A solution of 1 tbsp. baking soda in 1 cup of warm water.
4. A solution of 1 tsp. Colloidal Silver to 1 cup warm water. There is not a pathogenic organism known that is not killed by Colloidal Silver in six minutes or less. Its use is also of benefit to women who suffer from recurrent Candida (yeast) infections.
5. A solution of 1/2 hydrogen peroxide and 1/2 water
Air drying between cycles (preferably in natural sunlight) is sufficient. Keep your Sea Pearls™ in their little muslin bag in a dry cool place when not in use.
Keep in mind that each individual sponge may last up to 6 months, but it is recommended that they should be replaced every 3 months. Remember to always keep an extra sponge on hand during your cycle in case rinsing isn’t convenient!